Monday, September 28, 2009

Griz's left pedal cruises in to a lucky 7th finish.


It was a good day for the team. Although only one person raced, the spirit of everyone was there(you see, over the course of the past month I broke into all my teammate's homes while they were sleeping and bottled up a bit of the spirits because I knew not everyone could make it to every race. It's for the best). There was a rag tag crew for the Motordome's maiden cross voyage. It dragged Joel Metz(living legend), Matt and Clair(suck it spell check) Case, William Laubends, Kimberlyn Penrose(who needs to return Claire's(not Clair's) phone calls), Griz, Sir Thaddeus Bamford, and your's truly out to gather snacks en route to some school in some area not known as Portland. Most importantly it took Griz's left Time ATAC pedal.

The pedal was looking good, all new and matte/shiny like. It hadn't been contaminated by cyclocross filth. As soon as I clipped in near the back of the field, I could feel its presence. It had a firm grip. It was smooth and pure. My right foot was a little jealous. It would be frantically trying to keep pace the whole race.

After some number confusion(I'd been issued the wrong classification number), we took off in a soft glow of glory. There was some people up front who got a clear path through the opening off camber chicane. Then there was the left ATAC, the rest of the field effectively holding in its reigns. After some straight aways, things were looking good. Although the front runners had gotten a sizable and relatively unobstructed lead, the pedal was plowing steadily along towards the front.



Things were not all roses though, as the left pedal's superiority took me to the ground. It was a subtle reminder of how powerful new cleat and new spring tension chemistry can be. After the giant staircase run up, on lap one, I tried to mount and pedal through the top section and only got one foot in before losing momentum and needed to dismount to run it instead. But this wouldn't be so easy, and lefty dumped me gently into some bramble.


All in all, with some fast bank turns and a good amount of passing room, things worked out well. The pedal had crept up to a solid 7th place by the time things were said and done. It could have been any number of other factors, but I know the truth. If only I had both pedals. We can only wonder.

For sure though, I think I'll try to run a freewheel more this year. Last year, running fixed bit me in the ass a few times. Rainier was a similar course to Barlow, and I wished I had the set up at Rainier as I had yesterday. I think I also managed to find a way to keep my wheel from its chronic slipping and chain denial issues. Cross Crusade is almost here, and there will be more than double, if not triple, the participants. Getting a top ten will be much more difficult, and I can't wait to see if I can make it happen.

2 comments:

  1. i want my spirit back. now. please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Edit, 8th place. Looks like it's been updated on OBRA.
    And no Kim, it's property of the team.

    ReplyDelete